My Role in Fighting Corruption
UPDATE - SEE MY PRESENTATION TO THE BOARD ON MY UNDERCOVER INVOLVEMENT FOR THE FBI INVESTIGATION HERE - fast forward to the 8 minute mark:
As a witness in the massive probe, I cannot elaborate on my work with federal investigators other than to say my involvement was VOLUNTARY and spanned YEARS beginning just PRIOR to my taking office in 2008. For now, read this quote from the Detroit Free Press 5/30/17: “In a rare move, the U.S. Attorney's Office revealed the whistleblower in the Federal corruption case – ‘The United States Attorney's Office and the FBI wish to acknowledge the extraordinary assistance of Washington Township Supervisor Daniel O'Leary, who brought the criminal conduct to the attention of federal law enforcement and has been a valuable asset to the investigation since its inception.’”
My unwillingness to conform to the Macomb County cronyism culture has caused attacks on my reputation by those who felt I was “in the way”. A developer crony of a politician was sent to me by the politician to warn me long before the 2016 election “We’re gonna take you out. We will isolate you. You won’t have a reputation when we are done with you. We will throw every dime we have against you. When we are done, no one will have anything to do with you.“
Another Macomb County power player was asked by a mutual friend why I was under attack. He confided that "O'Leary is in the way. He is bad for business. They (the County politician and his developer friend) feel there is a lot of money to be made in Washington and he is in the way. If we don't take him out in the election, we will get him out some other way."
A township supervisor in a neighboring community confided "You have pissed off the two most powerful people in the County. The word has gone out that NONE of us (politicians) are to have anything to do with you unless we want to go down too. Even your friends are gonna turn on you to win their favor, but not me bud. Just lay low and you will make it out okay."
The two men pulled together two prominent local Romeo area people and asked them to gather up and organize everyone in the community who might have an interest in knocking me out of office. This included those committed to the cronyism culture, those who wanted Washington to continue to subsidize services for neighboring towns, those with political ambition, and those with political or personal vendettas. The team of four organized a group of people who then spread misinformation and rumors, often on social media, to tear down my credibility. Their stooges attacked anonymously through fake names on social media or by using some local antagonists as their front people. They would post slanderous things on line but cowardly block me from seeing the information so that it would go unchallenged. They followed me around and even followed my support team around. It made me uncomfortable from a safety standpoint.
In 2016, they pulled together political candidates who masqueraded as Republicans in an attempt to knock me out of office. Certain political campaigns were illegally funded in violation of campaign finance laws to advance their cause including payments to a local newspaper by one of the 4 conspirators on behalf of certain candidates.
They pulled together five wealthy persons who privately begged an employee to file suit against me and the township, offering to fund the entire effort. For a while they planned a recall and even set up a PAC to fund their effort. They recruited a local business owner to run against me. They promoted him all over social media till they learned what I already knew - he had multiple felony complaints against him for allegedly cheating many customers out of thousands of dollars.
Their lies continued throughout my third term into the 2020 election, even to the point of twisting the Federal investigation. They now portray the effort that I am most proud of, and for which my loved ones bore risk, as if I am the target despite the Feds repeatedly thanking me for my assistance!
Control of information has been key to this group. A newspaper was first courted by them, then harassed once it chose to be neutral. Then they threatened to make all advertisers pull their ads if the paper didn't get in line. It wasn't the only business threatened. There were others. One agritourism business owner was told "We hate to see you be forced out of business after all these years." Shortly after, they began filing conmplaints to the State about her business because she stayed supportive of me. They sent out communications purporting to be from me that were offensive and fabricated in order to damage my reputation. Such tactics were used by this group for several years against local businesses, politicians, charities and their employees if they associated with me.
To further control the flow of information, they used multiple social media pages to spread misinformation. They blocked posts with alternative views. They created false profiles to contribute to conversations in order to make it appear as if a groundswell of opposition was brewing.
The lies they told cannot be numbered. Here are some of them:
1. That I take bribes and am a TARGET of the Fed investigation rather than a voluntary informant who helped initiate much of the investigation. Hint: the Feds don't issue press releases thanking targets.
2. That I somehow conspired to fix my last election.
3. That I am responsible for the death of a local woman.
4. That I am responsible for the death of one of my employees.
5. That I get a piece of every land sale or home built in the town.
6. That I am a sexual predator.
7. That I own a piece of multiple businesses in town and therefore benefit from their township relationships.
8. That I or my ex wife sold land to Total Soccer for their complex and benefited from the zoning.
9. That I or my ex wife sold land to the township for the sewer facility.
10. That I or my ex wife sold land to Meijer for their new facility.
11. That my adult sons were harrassing my opponents.
12. That I brandish my firearm in meetings with residents.
13. That I denied benefits to veterans.
14. That I forced out board members Art Grimes and Harold Miller.
15. That my appointees were criminals, hoarders, etc.
16. That I drive drunk (they tried to follow me repeatedly).
17. That I own the Record Newspaper to control the news.
18. That I stalk and intimidate people.
19. That I harassed a critic by disapproving her sidewalk construction (the disapproval occurred one year PRIOR to her criticism of me).
20. That I have had sexual relationships with...(insert multiple names here).
21. That I misuse township funds.
22. That I am a socio path.
23. That I am constantly changing the township zoning to benefit my "friends".
24. That my opponent in the 2016 election was a Republican (she left the party affiliation line blank on her campaign formation document, voted in the Democratic primary for Bernie Sanders and was listed on the GOP database as a weak Democrat).
25. That my opponent in the 2016 election was on the Planning Commission (she was not).
26. That I did things to destroy the environment on the north end of town for my own benefit and hid violations of State law for 2 years.
27. That my opponent in the 2016 election was responsible for stopping a composting facility when in fact it was an effort organized by me and the various township officials.
28. That I obtained patents that I use in my personal business as "payola" because I am clearly not smart enough to have earned them.
29. That I am the leader of a local HATE GROUP.
30. That I "bribed the school board" to get them to change the name of Romeo High School to Washington High School.
31. That I faked having cancer.
32. That I do not work full time.
33. That an industrial company bribed me to sell them land.
34. That I stalked my 2020 opponent Sam Previti outside his home every morning at 6am.
and on and on.
They attacked me, my sons and their girlfriends, my ex-wife, board members and employees and even a charity I was associated with. They attacked Washington Township itself. Their lies did have an impact. But they were unsuccesful in knocking me out of office in 2016. They had better success in 2020.
Clearly the promises by the develper and politican to destroy me were delivered on. They have done much to destroy my reputation and take me out of office after 3 successful terms.
Despite all of this, I would not change a thing about my involvement in fighting the deeply-entrenched culture of corruption that continues to plague Macomb County.