About Dan O'Leary
Current Township Role
Dan O'Leary has chaired the 7 member Washington Township Board of Trustees since his election in November 2008. His day to day responsibilities include management of the following departments and duties:
- Fire and Ambulance
- Water and Sewer
- Planning and Zoning
- Ordinance Enforcement
- Building Inspection
- Law Enforcement (through a contract with the Macomb Sheriff)
- Waste Hauling (through a contract with Allied Waste)
- Collective Bargaining
- Strategy, Forecasting and Financial Direction
Dan is actively involved in the Southeastern Michigan Council of Governments which is an organization that seeks regional cooperation and planning and sets policy on distribution of funds that impact the quality of our lives. In addition to being the township representative on SEMCOG's General Assembly responsible for protecting township interests on the body, he has participated as follows:
- Former SEMCOG board member
- Current Member of the Executive Committee representing Townships
- Former Chair of the Transportation Advisory Council
- Former member of the Regional Clearinghouse Review Committee
- Former Member of the Infrastructure Task Force
- Former Member of the Member Task Force.
- Recipient of the Regional Ambassador Award
Elected precinct delegate every time since 2010; participated in 3 State conventions
Past Member of the Republican Committee of Northern Macomb County
Former member of the Macomb County GOP Executive Committee
Dedicated supporter of Pro-life organizations.
Demonstrated ability to work together with both sides of the aisle.
Graduated from Wayne State University in 1987 with a Bachelor of Sciences in Business Administration (Accounting concentration).
Earned his Certified Public Accountant status with Arthur Andersen.
Served DTE Energy and its subsidiaries and predecessors from 1990 until taking office in 2008 in various roles, including:
- Director of Midstream Marketing (Michigan Consolidated Gas)
- Director of Revenue Loss Prevention Operations (DTE)
- Quality Director (Michigan Consolidated Gas)
- Controller (Michigan Consolidated Gas)
- Manager of Corporate Development (DTE)
- Director of Accounting (MCN Energy)
- Finance Director (MCNIC Oil and Gas)
- Director of Energy Holdings (DTE)
Mr. O'Leary has substantial experience in personnel management, budgeting and forecasting, strategic planning, litigation, asset management, dispute resolution, contract negotiation, and collective bargaining.
Mr. O'Leary also is the co-owner and co-founder of a successful business and owner of 3 patents.
Other Community Involvement
Volunteer for the Washington Goodfellows
Volunteer for the St Baldrick's Foundation
Past President of North Macomb Association for Planned Growth
Former Treasurer - Carriage Hills Homeowners Association
Former board member - Miss Dig, Inc.
Past Peach Festival judge
Art and Orchard organizing committee
Assisted Stan Babinski in bringing the Boys and Girls Club to Washington
Dan O'Leary was born in Brooklyn, New York where he lived until 1978. He has lived in Macomb County ever since. The O'Learys grew to love northern Macomb after many years of visiting local orchards and festivals and eventually acquired a home in Washington in 2003.
Dan is married to Amy and is the loving father of four sons - Shane, Casey, Sullivan and Blake. He worships at Kensington Church.